THE GANDHI LEGACY and PHILANTHROPIC TOUR of INDIA
January 03rd to 17th, 2020
14 Nights* / 15 Days*
Led by DR. ARUN GANDHI and MR. TUSHAR GANDHI
• Day 1: Friday January 3rd, 2020 – Arrival in Mumbai at the Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport
* Upon your arrival at the Mumbai Chatrapati Shivaji International airport you will proceed through both immigration and customs clearance. Once you have collected your luggage, walk through the exit gate of the arrival hall where you will be met by a representative and transferred to the Waterstones Hotel. *Once you arrive at the Waterstones Hotel, you can check in and then are free until the tour officially starts at 7:30pm. A buffet dinner at Waterstones Hotel will commence at 7:30pm where you will meet both Dr. Arun Gandhi, Mr. Tushar Gandhi and the other tour participants. * Please note that hotel rooms will be held starting on January 2nd, 2020 as most international flights arrive in the early hours of the morning. This will allow for your immediate check-in and the ability to both freshen up and sleep prior to the official tour commencement.
• Day 2: Saturday January 4th, 2020 – Mumbai and Kolhapur (via Pune)
* Following a buffet breakfast at the Waterstones Hotel, you will check out and head to Mani Bhavan for a visit of the transitional home, library and museum of Bapu. This location has significance for being the focal point of Gandhi’s political activities between 1917 and 1934. * The next stop is to visit WIT (Women’s India Trust) Panvel, an organization that started training less privileged and unskilled women in Mumbai to stitch sari petticoats. Today WIT has grown to provide women education, vocational skills training and employment. This visit will afford the opportunity to see crafts such as block printing and more. * Lunch will be provided on site at WIT * Travel on to Pune where you will enjoy a packed dinner from Sayaji Hotel before driving on to Kolhapur where you will check-in to the Citrus Hotel Kolhapur. * Note that today you will spend approximately 7-8 hours on the road in a tour bus
• Day 3: Sunday January 5th, 2020 – Kolhapur
* The day will begin with a breakfast buffet at Citrus Hotel Kolhapur after which you will travel out to see various migrant worker camps (such as visiting a brickyard site) and learn about issues pertaining to child labor. * In conjunction with the aforementioned visit you will meet representatives from the AVANI (Anti-Child Labor Program and Residential School) to tour both makeshift tent schools as well as the residential school where nearly 40 children have been removed from worksites and/or vulnerable positions and not only attend governmental schools, but also are provided with food, accommodations, health and psychological support through AVANI. * During your visit you will meet with AVANI founder Anuradha Bhosale who is a renowned grassroots women’s rights and anti-child labor activist; a former child-laborer herself, she has spent the past 20 years fighting for the prevention of child exploitation, labor, trafficking, and female infanticide. * Today’s lunch will be boxed (provided by the Citrus Hotel Kolhapur) and eaten between site visits. * You will return to the Citrus Hotel Kolhapur for a buffet dinner and another night’s stay.
• Day 4: Monday January 6th, 2020 – Kolhapur, Lonavala and Pune
* Breakfast at the hotel will prepare you for the drive from Kolhapur to Lonavala (approximately 5 to 6 hours); after check in at Citrus Hotel Lonavala, you will head off to visit the Agakhan Palace in Pune which is the national monument of India’s freedom movement. * The palace is of particular importance since it served as the location of imprisonment for Gandhi, his wife Kasturba, and his secretary Mahadevbhai Desai following the launch of the 1942 Quit India Movement. Both Kasturba and Mahadevbhai pass away during their captivity here, as such a memorial to both are found on the grounds. * Boxed lunch from the Citrus Hotel Kolhapur will be made available during the day’s journey. * Buffet dinner will be held at the Citrus Hotel Lonavala.
• Day 5: Tuesday January 7th, 2020 – Lonavala, Mumbai and Bhuj (via an Overnight Train)
* Breakfast will again be held at your hotel (Citrus Hotel Lonavala), after which you will depart to return to Mumbai. * Today’s visit will take place at Marketplace: Handwork of India / Share which is an innovative fair trade, non-profit organization working with 480 artisans organized into 14 independent co-operatives that produce high-quality women's apparel and home decor. This venture combines the experience of running a business with a variety of support programs designed to affect meaningful change in the lives of low-income Indian women. * Lunch will be at held at Marketplace: Handwork of India / Share * The next stop is the Bandra Terminus railway station where you will board the Kutch Express overnight train to Bhuj. * A packed box dinner will be provided to consume on the train journey.
• Day 6: Wednesday January 8th, 2020 – Bhuj
* Upon arrival to the Bhuj railway station, you will transfer to the Kutch Safari Resort where you will breakfast and check-in. You will then take a boxed lunch from the resort and venture out to visit two organizations for the day. * First you will visit Hunnarshala, an organization that shares its knowledge and skills for building designs, settlement planning, social housing, disaster reconstruction, waste water treatment systems, infrastructure development, and more. The impetus for its collaborations and associations grew after the 2001 earthquake that devastated the Kutch region. * Next you will visit the Khamir, which like Hunnarshala was instituted after the earthquake of 2001, and focuses on strengthening and promoting the rich artisanal traditions of the Kachchh district. The name Khamir is an acronym for Kachchh Heritage, Art, Music, Information and Resources. Additionally, Khamir means “intrinsic pride” in the local language of Kachchhi, and “to ferment” in Hindi. This organization serves as a platform for the promotion of traditional handicrafts and allied cultural practices, the processes involved in their creation, and the preservation of culture, community and local environments. * You will return to the Kutch Safari Resort for a buffet dinner and overnight stay.
• Day 7: Thursday January 9th, 2020 – Bhuj and Ahmedabad
* Breakfast will again be enjoyed at the Kutch Safari Resort. * Today’s visit will be spent with SETU Abhiyan, which is an organization that focuses upon strengthening the local citizen’s faith, understanding and engagement in local government. With a focus on governance with transparency, inclusivity, sustainability and efficiency, this group helps to bring together the community to facilitate change and utilization of programs and resources. * Departing from SETU Abhiyan, you will have approximately an 8 hour drive to Ahmedabad, during this journey you will have another boxed lunch provided from the Kutch Safari Resort. * Upon arrival in Ahmedabad, you will check into the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel and enjoy a buffet dinner.
• Day 8: Friday January 10th, 2020 - Ahmedabad
* Start your day with breakfast at the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel * After breakfast, you will visit and tour the Gujarat Vidyapeeth campus which is the university that Gandhi founded in 1920. * Traveling over to Kochrab Ashram, founded in 1915 by Gandhi, you will learn about Gandhi’s system of community living as well as enjoying your lunch. * Your afternoon visit will be to the Sabarmati Ashram, which was a new ashram founded in 1917 and served as one of the main centers of the Indian freedom struggle. Named after the holy river Sabarmati upon which it is situated, this site no longer functions as a working ashram, but rather as a museum and an institution whose aim is to preserve and propagate the legacy of the Mahatma. * You will return to the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel for dinner and your overnight stay.
• Day 9: Saturday January 11th, 2020 – Ahmedabad
* Your day will again begin with breakfast at the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel. * After breakfast, you will spend your day with the SEWA (Self Employed Women’s Association). SEWA is a women’s trade union which was registered in 1972 for the organization of poor, self-employed women workers. Since these women earn a living through their own labor or small businesses, they do not obtain regular salaried employment with welfare benefits like those workers in the organized labor sector. As such, these women are representative of the 93% of the unprotected labor force workers in India. You will learn about the efforts and stories of SEWA members as well as enjoy lunch with the group during a lecture by Tushar Gandhi. * You will return to the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel for dinner and your overnight stay.
• Day 10: Sunday January 12th, 2020 – Ahmedabad and Jaipur
* After your breakfast at the Fortune Landmark Ahmedabad Hotel, you will depart for a Heritage Walk through Ahmedabad. You guide will show you around this 600-year-old city which has some of the finest Indian-Islamic monuments and exquisite Hindu and Jain temples. You will also experience the architectural tradition of carved wooden houses as you stroll the streets of this “walled city.” * You will return to the hotel for lunch and then depart for the Ahmedabad airport to board your flight to Jaipur. * You will be met upon arrival at the Jaipur airport and transferred to the Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur Hotel where you will have dinner and retire for the evening.
• Day 11: Monday January 13th, 2020 – Jaipur and Ajmer
* After an early breakfast at the Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur Hotel, you will drive approximately 3 to 4 hours to Ajmer where you will visit the Barefoot College. Established in 1972, the Barefoot College provides basic services and solutions to problems in rural communities, with the objective of making them self-sufficient and sustainable. Solutions include a variety of topics such as solar energy, water management, education, health care, rural handicrafts, wasteland development, and more. The foundation of successful sustainability is rooted in solutions being managed and owned by those whom it serves; therefore, all Barefoot initiatives whether social, political, or economic are planned and implemented by a network of rural men and women who are known as “Barefoot Professionals.” * You will enjoy lunch at the Barefoot College, and will be exposed to the amazing works that semi and non-literate men and women are accomplishing through the direct training they receive at the college. * Upon returning to the Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur Hotel, you will have dinner and an overnight stay.
• Day 12: Tuesday January 14th, 2020 – Jaipur to Sariska
* Start your day with breakfast at the Fortune Select Metropolitan Jaipur Hotel. * Upon leaving the hotel, you will visit the Jaipur Foot / Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti (BMVSS) organization. Jaipur Foot is the world’s largest organization dedicated to rehabilitating individuals with disabilities (over 1.55 million). Services include the fitting and provision of free artificial limbs and other aids to amputees and polio patients. The services are not only provided to individuals across India, but also extended to those in 27 countries around the world. * After your visit, you will enjoy a buffet lunch at the Park Regis Jaipur and then will continue on to Sariska via an approximately 3 to 4-hour drive. * This evening you will check into the Sariska Tiger Heaven Resort as well as having your dinner.
• Day 13: Wednesday January 15th, 2020 – Sariska to Delhi
* After your breakfast at the Sariska Tiger Heaven Resort, you will visit the Tarun Bharat Sangh campus to meet the “Waterman” of India and learn about the sustainable development efforts of the group. To visit the various locations, you will be in cars and jeeps. Bring good walking shoes today as you may be invited out into the reservoir and farmlands! After the tour is over you will stay to enjoy lunch with the organization. * Once your visit concludes, you will drive on to Delhi by bus which is another 3 to 4-hour journey. Upon arrival, you will check in to the Pride Plaza New Delhi hotel where you will also enjoy dinner.
• Day 14: Thursday January 16th, 2020 - Delhi
* Your day begins with breakfast at the Pride Plaza New Delhi. * You will start today’s site-seeing first with a visit to the Gandhi Smriti Birla House (part of the Old Birla House). This is a sacred place as it is where Mahatma Gandhi's epic life ended on January 30, 1948. His last 144 days of his life were spent here, and thereby contain many treasured memories including the room where Mahatma Gandhi lived as well as the prayer ground where he held a mass congregation every evening. It was the prayer grounds where Gandhiji was felled by an assassin’s bullet. * After a lunch at the Chor Bizarre restaurant, you will next visit the Rajghat where Mahatma Gandhi was cremated and the memorial to “The Father of the Nation” is located. At Rajghat you will see a black memorial stone with Gandhi’s last words “Hey Ram” inscribed on it. * Next stop is The National Gandhi Museum which contains a rich collection of original relics, books, journals, exhibition, memorabilia and more. It is also developing into a Resource Center for Gandhian and Allied Studies and Research. * If time permits, you will also visit the Qutub Minar, which is a minaret that is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. * The day will end back at the Pride Plaza New Delhi where you will again have dinner and retire for the evening.
• Day 15 DEPARTURE DAY: Friday January 17th, 2020 – Delhi
* For those who are NOT taking the OPTIONAL Agra tour, this will be your Departure Day. After your breakfast at the Pride Plaza New Delhi, you will be free for the day to explore Delhi on your own (and get your last minute shopping completed). * You will return to the Pride Plaza New Delhi for your buffet lunch, after which, you will be transferred to the Delhi International Airport to board your flight back home. * Note that lunch is the last meal provided via your package tour.
• Day 15 OPTIONAL ADD-ON STAY: Friday January 17th, 2020 – Delhi and Agra
* For those who are ARE taking the OPTIONAL Agra tour, you will have breakfast at the Pride Plaza New Delhi, and then will leave for Agra. The bus ride to Agra will be approximately 4 hours. * Upon arrival in Agra, you will first check into the Crystal Sarovar Premier Agra hotel and enjoy lunch. * In the afternoon, you will visit the Agra Fort as the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays. * The evening will conclude back at the Crystal Sarovar Premier Agra hotel where you will have dinner.
• Day 16 DEPARTURE DAY: Saturday January 18th, 2020 – Delhi and Agra
* Today is Departure Day for those who stayed on for the OPTIONAL Agra tour. After an early breakfast at the Crystal Sarovar Premier Agra hotel, you will go to visit the Taj Mahal. Built by the great Mughal emperor Shah Jehan in honor of his beloved wife Mumtaj Mahal, the Taj Mahal is one of the great wonders of the world. * After lunch at a local restaurant, you will depart for the approximately 4-hour bus ride back to Delhi where you will be transferred to the Delhi International Airport for your flight home. * Please note that return flights MUST be booked on January 18th late in the night (or the early AM hours of the 19th) to ensure that you are back to the airport with enough time to get through security. * Also note that lunch is the last meal provided via your package tour.